American Leak Detection - Horrible experience

I was very disappointed with this company.We had a main water line break which we could only hear and not see so it was required for us to hire this company to detect the leak, apparently they are the only company in UT that detect leaks.

We paid them $335 for them to come out and they said they detected the leak under my front porch and placed a big blue X in the spot they said it was. I hired a plumbing company to come and fix the leak, it required 2 plumbers , renting a jack hammer and paying them to destroy almost my whole front porch for the plumbers to not find water or a pipe! I called American Leak Detection and told them they needed to come back out because they didn't find the leak, the guy came back out but was very rude. He did his test and was like "oh it's in your lawn next to your porch"!

I was upset because not only was my porch destroyed I had to pay the 2 plumbers by the hour for a whole day, which didn't need to happen in the first place and didn't make me any closer to fixing my leak. I contacted American Leak Detection and it took almost the whole day for the owner to call me back, he then told me the only thing he could do was refund my $335 I paid them to come out. I asked him about the giant hole in my front porch, the lost time and the time I had to pay the plumbers and he said he was not responsible for that, that there's nothing more he could do for me. I had to pay the plumbers to fix their mistake!

Please be aware of this so that this won't happen to you, usually companies want to make their customers happy so they don't end up with upset customers but this company doesn't care about making their customs happy.

I will not send anyone I know to this company ever!!!Please save yourself the headache!

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

More Review Details

Service Scheduling

• What I liked
      No items
  • What I disliked
    • Failed in effort to find leak
    • I got ripped off
    • Did not find the largest leak
    • Owner response to problem

Reason of review:
Poor customer service
Preferred solution:
Let the company propose a solution
Monetary loss:
Product or service
American Leak Detection Residential Services
Review category
Household Services
review #736780 by

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with American Leak Detection? Submit review ›
Helpful? 5 Yes 5 5 No 5
Had the same issue 2 Yes 2
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Feb 25 #1117720

The difficulty of this job is the fact that the line went to four other properties and the pipe was plastic. When performing leak detections on plastic or PVC pipe we are unable to locate plastic pipe and we can only use our sound equipment to listen for a leak. So our technician used his sound equipment and marked the area with the loudest sound. When we were notified by the customer that the first spot we marked was wrong, we then sent out the technician to retest the system and he put a mark in the grass which was where the leak was found. We did not charge for the second visit. We fully refunded the customer to help offset any costs. If the customer never used our company to locate the leak in the grass, the chances are that the entire yard would have been dug up in search for the leak, but we were able to help on the second visit to locate the leak in the grass, which in effect, saves them the additional costs and headache of tearing up the entire yard in search for the leak. Our company does care about each of our customers.

4 0 Reply

Nov 30, 2015 #1071465

I would have thought it would have been a whole lot cheaper for them to correct their mistake in the long run, not to mention the right thing to do. This review has scared me away from even using them. How much business have they lost because they did not make things right and pay the $1000? Customers understand that mistakes happen, but if a company sends an incompetent worker out and cause the customer extra damage and expense, the way they handle the situation will determine whether people will want to do business with them in the future.

2 5 Reply

Nov 19, 2015 #1066396

so who is the *** that started in the porch and not the grass just to be sure. The sound of water can travel through the ground and make it appear to be in a different place. I thought everyone knew that. You got ripped off when they gave you your high school diploma.

1 3 Reply

Nov 19, 2015 #1066408

I'm not a plumber so I was unaware also this is my first home so thanks for being rude! By the way I'm also a college graduate so no need to do low blows, if you have nothing constructive to say please keep it to yourself thank you!

1 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to American Leak Detection. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

You were reading a complaint about American Leak Detection.
Filing a new complaint about